Sunday, September 13, 2009

Drunken by Exhaustion

My friend told me I was acting weird, and I needed sleep. My brain searched for some answer, and I was telling it to do so, but I was having trouble getting it to start up.
I sat there sniffling at two in the morning.
All of a sudden all the sadness overwhelmed me. Seeing him had finally caught up with me.
I didn't want to be so sad and broken. I wanted to be happy and whole. But somehow I couldn't. I couldn't be happy and whole. So I sat with a friend in a small room crying soflty.
His arms came in around me quickly and tightly. The position at which he held me was awkward, but he didn't care. He pulled me into his arms as the tears rolled down my cheeks. It started out slow and silent, but my friend putting his arms around me soon encouraged the sobs out of me.
In my head, I thought all the days I was with my ex, every time I cried, he pulled his arms away from me, let go, or walked away. He had never pulled me in closer, as I was now being held, by someone who was just a friend. My friend understood more what I needed than my ex ever had.
Eventually the tears subsided, quieted by the warmth of loving arms.
I had people looking out for me in these sad times, even though I felt completely alone. It was these small moments sitting in the small room, playing cards in the coffee shop, that I found the strength to be ok, at least for the moment.
Time seemed to be skulking around, making me miserable. I just wanted this part of everything to be over and gone. I tried to will time faster. Will it away to a time when I would be happy and whole again.
A time when I could no longer feel so sad a lost.

No comments: