It wasn't like I was being dishonest...
With the smell of chlorine and sunscreen, I was back in the summer of flip-flops, top 40 stations, windows rolled down, music pumped. Long sunsets and swim suits ruled the day.
I was beginning to notice an extreme boost in confidence from my old self. Going over old emails and messages, I saw how much I had changed. I couldn't believe I had written some of those things...but I had. I was so...insecure.
The new confidence came with a new set of social rules. Suddenly, I had male attention. That was different...but I suppose when you are confident and chatty, something just...resonates. By no means was I the most adored girl in the world, or attracting super hotties (apparently just 13 year olds at the pool) but I was getting attention from unexpected places (and no, not just the 13 year olds). It was like I could just bask in the attention. By no means was I stringing these guys along (at least I hope I wasn't) but I was allowing them to pay attention to me. I could be chatty and confident without having to worry if they liked me or wanted to go out with me. I already had that base covered.
My favorite summer analogy applies here:
The days melted like twin cherry popsicles; sticky and sweet.
It wasn't my traditional summer by any means, but I liked how it felt. I could be a confident girl, and be free from worry. I could live in the world of summer. Albeit real possibility being gone, which was exciting but slightly stressful, I could have the summer days of my favorite novels. I could have them sticky and sweet.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment