He was raging an emotional war over my head.
He called me crazy, he called me stalker, he told me he'd made the right decision to leave me. All just to hurt me, seemingly. Under a veil of emotional honesty.
I felt my face prickling, small, sharp, needly pain inching it's way across my nose and forehead. In my chest I felt a pain, that made my legs automatically pull into my chest, and I hung my head as he single-handedly ripped what was left of my heart to shreds. I hadn't tried to hurt him, at least not intentionally. And here he was, very intentionally hurting me.
I could understand that need. To want to have someone hurt just as bad as you felt. You felt a fire in your brain, wanting them to feel your misery. Because there was some comfort in that. Misery did love company.
That was the tragedy of relationships. In the end, someone or everyone was going to get hurt. You spent all this time getting close to some one, only to have it very likely not work out. 99% of relationships are bound to fail at some point or another. You never wanted to believe that when you were someone, but that was what happened. And it was this fantasy, this suspension of logic, that we tricked ourselves into being with people, thinking it would work out. Otherwise, who would continue? With such hopeless odds?
Some of the best and worst moments of life came from our lovers. Some of the kindest words, and the most cruel.
I tried to find some solace in the day, but it was just like a spring semester to start this way. They always did, ever since I got here. It was just fate that something bad had to happen right at the beginning.
I was stronger now than I had been that first January, a freshman in Chapel Glen. Then I was at my most insecure, my most vulnerable, my most destructive. Now look at me.
My heart was shut. The gates were chained, the wall put up. It was an odd feeling to feel this guarded, but right now, I was tired of letting myself get hurt. I just had to look out for myself for right now, til I could try again.
"If we were the last ocean in the world, and I was the last boy and you the girl. Would you spend your last days wondering where the others went? If this were our last romp would you dance different? If I were the last ocean, or the first photograph of earth, would that change what I was worth? Would I set your hand in motion? If I were the last ocean?"
~ The Last Ocean by Pictures and Sound
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment